Friday, May 3, 2013

A Walk In The Woods

Photo sent to Andy for proper identification
The phone rang yesterday and Ryan Burke, the cider maker at our new neighbor, Virtue Farms, was on the line asking if I knew what this onion like thing was he just found growing wild around the barn. "There are hundreds of them," he said. I grabbed my phone and went across the street to check it out. A quick photo messaged to Andy Davis confirmed that it was a wild chive, or onion grass, as some people call it. Phone calls are rarely short with Andy. He is intensely well versed in all things wild and edible and will talk about them as long as you'll listen. But yesterday he was a little forlorn. He was sitting on the shore of the Pacific ocean, marveling at it's beauty, but still sad because he was in a part of Oregon that didn't support morels. The weather had finally gotten warm for a day or two in Michigan and we had a bit of rain, all just after Andy left for the West Coast, so he was unable to go hunting for them once the conditions finally favored their appearance.

And as I walked around the barn at Virtue with Ryan, looking at the brittle, Lot's wife like, lifeless shoots of last years wild asparagus, one defiant moment form crumbling into the earth to make way for this year's harvest, I was struck with a bit of that same melancholy. Usually at this time of year I am in a professional kitchen, exploring my way around the newest of the new, vegetable wise. In Michigan, you get through most of winter on storage crops. You get a little sick of potatoes and rutabaga a few weeks before the first thaw will hopefully find the farmer able to dig up a few of last year's jerusalem artichokes or turnips that wintered over, marking the official start to the agricultural season. Shortly after that, again if you're lucky, tender, flavorful wintered over spinach will appear briefly, and then it's time to head to the woods.

The past couple of years working with Andy has taught me that spring is about much more than morels, ramps, and fiddleheads. The woods teem with wild food. Even now, before the morels have even popped, Andy tells me he can get cattail shoots, violets, pokeweed, watercress (if the floodwaters recede), day lily tubers and shoots, wild chives, and, of course, the first of this year's maple syrup. As summer progresses, Andy will bring around dozens of varieties of mushroom, more greens, and edible tubers and shoots, herbs and taproots.

Last year was the first year Andy made aggressive motions toward making his hobby a career, and, unfortunately, we had a severe drought. This year, I have no restaurant. Next year, you can be sure, wild food will be as important to menu formation at St. Anthony as cultivated. It is more than just a little heart breaking to be on the bench this season. When I left Reserve, I was hoping to have more time to write and cook what inspires me with more freedom. Turns out, it was the work that inspired me. Turns  out, I'm not quite the self motivator I thought I was. I will most certainly make good use of this restlessness when I am in front of the stove again.

In the meantime, I should get Andy to take me for a walk in the woods.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melancholy, at least for me, has been fostered by the decimation of seasons. Most Michiganders revel in the slow unfolding of spring, summer, fall and winter; these past couple years, though, it seems like we skip at least one of those quarterly revolutions. Two weeks ago, it was low 30's and snowing. Now, mid 80's. WTF?

    ReplyDelete